For updated information on Strawberry U-Picks, please call our office at (813) 642-9866. You can also follow us on Facebook for all updates.
Thank you for your business.
Here are some tips on how to be prepared for U-Picking Strawberries!!!
* No need to schedule an appointment. Just come out to the farm, once the fields have opened for u-pick and we will greet you at the gate.
* Dress comfortably. Wear loose fitting clothing. You will get dirty!
* Wear a hat and bring sunscreen.
* Bring your own containers. Nothing real deep, as the berries on bottom will be crushed by the weight. We do not have any containers on site, so you must have something to put your berries in.
* If you plan to spend the day, take ice to keep the berries cool once picked. Keep the picked berries out of the sun.
* Select only firm ripe berries. Berries will not ripen once picked.
* Be careful not to remove the tops of the berries. Without them, strawberries will lose their vitamin content and become waterlogged.
* Make an effort to pick every ripe berry on each plant rather than jumping from plant to plant and row to row. Check under all leaves as some of the best fruit is hidden. Start in the middle of a row and go out or pick the entire row.
* Try and pick early in the morning when the berries are still cool.
* If berries are not used immediate, refrigerate and loosely cover with paper towel or plastic wrap. Do not wash or cut tops until ready to use.
* Strawberries are very perishable and should be used or preserved as soon as possible after being picked.
* When ready to use, wash strawberries by carefully placing into a large pan or sink of cool water; remove IMMEDIATELY and drain in a large colander or spread on paper towel. Dry berries off as much as possible, so they do not soak up the water. Do not allow berries to soak or they will become waterlogged. Hull or remove stem after you have rinsed them.
* Washed and hulled unused berries can be preserved in the refrigerator by adding sugar, orange or lemon juice or adding liqueur, such as Grand Marnier, Cointreau, ect.
* Freezing is recommended for long term storage of strawberries. Place strawberries in single layer on a cookie sheet; freeze until hard. Quickly transfer to heavy duty freezer bags or prepared containers and store in freezer.